Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Sad Goodbyes

An 18-year-old girl committed suicide in our college dorm early last Friday. Her roommate found her and could not revive her. My 15-year old had many friends at the high school who knew her. As I talked to my daughter, I asked her what the girl accomplished. I wanted my daughter to look long and hard at what suicide accomplishes. The girl got the attention she was obviously craving, but she is not around to see it. Suicide is selfish. I wanted my daughter to know that nothing is worth taking your life over. Everything can be resolved. All I can do is hope she listened.

2 comments:

Donna said...

Dear Dawn I am so sorry to hear what happened to the young woman at your college it is so sad to think that something so bad could have been going on in her life that the only way out was to kill herself. Just embrace and love your daughter, kids of today have sooooooooo much pressure in their lives. I am happy that i am a child of the 60's. Life was so much simpler then. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.
Have a Happy Thanksgiving.
Donna

Dawn said...

Thank you.